Monday, March 27, 2006

Santander was a very cute little beach town, and I was pleasantly surprised that my rusty Spanish got me on a bus from the airprot to the city center as well as directions to my hostel. As soon as I dropped my bags off, I changed into a tshirt and slipped on my sandals, not regretting for a second that I took them along. I had after all, been travelling south for hundreds of miles and the warm Spanish sun felt incredible on my pale Scottish skin. I took a walk down the boardwalk and got my first whif of the Mediterranean. I´ve been taking loads of pictures, and will post as soon as I find a cpu that allows uploads.

Yesterday when I asked for a ticket for the 10am bus to Bilbao, the clerk pointed to the clock and said "son las diez y media." Foiled by daylight savings time. No matter, one left in thirty more minutes. I explored Bilbao solo for the day, which reminds me a lot of Pittsburgh. I have no place in discussing the Guggenheim museum, what I believe to be the most beautiful building on the planet. I walked around el casco viejo´s winding streets, dropped in a few bars for pintxos (little delicious sandwiches), and ende dthe day basking in the sun in a park overlooking the city´s old town and industrial district. Around 7, I gave Ellie a call to meet up. A fabulous reunion. More later, and definitely pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home