Friday, January 13, 2006



Exhaustion and Exhileration

Greetings from sunny Edinburgh. My first five days have been incredible. I fought the jet lag the first day and walked the city for about five hours, wandering up and down the medival streets and alleys with a friend I met on the flight from Frankfurt. The city finds the perfect balance between old and new, with giant glass and steel structures paired next to 16th century palaces and castles. My accomodation is a bit of a trade-off: the dorm complex is about a 15 minute walk from campus and the city center, but I enjoy laudry and cleaning service, two decent meals a day (Connor you were right, the breakfast is amazing. It was my first meal here), but most importantly, I made about thirty Scottish and English friends my first day, an experience that is lacking in the American concentrated flats.

The above pic is from Arthur's Seat overlooking the city. It was a great hike with fifteen or so trails leading to the summit. I look forward to exploring them all. The wind was so fierce that Adam and I could literally lean forward 45 degrees. I felt like a highland warrior.

Props are certainly due to Mary Washington for academic preparedeness. My first day of seminar I discussed the 20th century British canon with eight native countrymen, contributing probably more than an American should.


Rest assured I've been holding it down on the nightlife as well. The Scottish kids must expect all Americans to be lightweights as night after night they bombard me with drinks as if I can't handle it. Please. I'm quickly gaining acceptance. I don't want to bore anyone with club stories, but I figure the knights of Russel might appreciate this description: Five hundred Scots dancing to Wu-Tang in front of a ten meter screen playing David Attenborough...and vodka rebull pitchers.

I miss everyone lots (only 5 months 2 weeks to go!) and would love some comments. Everybody take it easy over there.

6 Comments:

At 12:07 AM, Blogger sarah said...

sounds terrific. looks gray and lovely. seriously, can't wait to visit.

everyone misses you and asks about you all the time. yr a tough precedent, tom allison, but we're all trying to hold it down like you would. hangin' out. pretty good. have another pint for us.

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So nice to hear from you. I've read and reread this first blog. It sounds wonderful. Enjoy every minute. Time is fleeting. It was very windy last nighit and a big tree fell in the front woods. Rum Tum slept in my office snuggled up on your old torn merino wool blue sweater. I'll e-mail also. Love, Mom

 
At 3:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

B,

Glad to hear that everything is going well. Sleep with as many European girls as possible. lol, jk mom. (but seriously, do it). Take more pictures and send them our way. Hot-lanta awaits your visit. Can't wait to see you. Call me if you run out of money and don't lose your IPOD.

Love,
Nev

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man! Keep it coming dude seriously I check here at least once a week so fill'r up for us yanks, can't tell you how jelous I am dude seriously!

Read this yesterday:
"DUBLIN (Reuters) - Scientists in Ireland may have found the country's most fertile male, with more than 3 million men worldwide among his offspring.

The scientists, from Trinity College Dublin, have discovered that as many as one in twelve Irish men could be descended from Niall of the Nine Hostages, a 5th-century warlord who was head of the most powerful dynasty in ancient Ireland.

His genetic legacy is almost as impressive as Genghis Khan, the Mongol emperor who conquered most of Asia in the 13th century and has nearly 16 million descendants, said Dan Bradley, who supervised the research."


I know you're in ireland, but there's gotta be a lot of his floating around all the isles (his Y chromosome is found in almost 3 percent of all New York males!). Totally useless information! I love it!

Me and neville are clearly counting on you to break the record, btw. And take pics (of the scenery not necessarily the girls). Most importantly keep it real, and be sure to spread the word about DJ Pizza Party to our European friends!

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you're in scottland, not ireland. Sorry I'm a deuche.

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TOM
I miss you. Drink some whisky to my name. I'll do the same for you, except it might be natural light. Beau last weekend is this weekend. Allman's is awesome. I'm slow as hell by foot, real fast by bike.
Connor

 

Post a Comment

<< Home