Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Had a few hostel problems here in Bilbao: the first one cost too much (though was lovely) and the 2nd was on a mountain a 10 minute bus ride away. Though Bilbao does have an excellent mass trans system (buses, trams, and a metro line), perhaps they should have spent less money on the fancy electronic displays and more on keeping the system running past 10 pm. I guess I´m spoiled by Ed´s 24 hour buses. So I took a taxi to the hostel last night and checked out this morning. I had another lovely day exploring solo, free to see eat drink and do whatever I wished.

First I went to the market, the largest covered market in Europe to pick up some strawberries, fresh cheese, tomatos, and a loaf of bread. I stowed the goods away in my messanger bag and paid a visit the the Basque Musuem. There was an excellent exhibition on King Tut as well as the permament displays of Basque history and culture. Did you know that their language is deritive neither of modern French or Spanish? In fact its origins or similar languages are completely unknown. Ever since Franco attempted to annihilate the Basque sense of independence or identity, los vascos have been a little touchy about the integrity of their culture. I´ve got some great pics of seperatist graffitti and propaganda btw.

So I took the metro to the beach in Plancia to enjoy my impromptu picnic, catch some rays, read my book (a history of ibiza, where I´ll be working on an organic farm in June), and generally relax...a little too relaxed...I fell asleep and got pretty burned. I know what you´re thinking, how could my bronzed scottish complexion possibly burn under the tender Spanish sun? C'est la vie.

So San Sebastian tomorrow. Then Madrid for a few days.
Let´s all be very careful out there

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home